Skip to content

Blog: How did Stafford Park get its name?

James Stafford came to Redwood City in 1866.

James Stafford came to Redwood City in 1866. He started a hauling business transporting lumber and other heavy items between San Francisco and Redwood City.

In 1872, James gave up the hauling business and decided to open a grocery store next to the courthouse on Broadway between Hamilton and Winslow streets. Twenty years later, James’s son Dan took over the store at the tender age of 15. He remained active in the business for the next forty-one years.

For many years the store was considered Redwood City’s leading retail grocery outlet.

James retired in 1901, which lead to another son joining the enterprise, hence the name Stafford Bros. Groceries. In 1917, the brothers ended their partnership. However both secured new partners and continued in the grocery business — albeit in separate locations.

James served as city clerk for twelve years and was mayor for ten. in 1892 he helped organize the Chamber of Commerce. His brother Daniel was the mayor of Redwood City from 1930 to 1932.

James donated a large piece of land to the city, which became a park in his name. Just over 1.5 acres in size, Stafford Park is located on Hopkins Ave. between Lowell and King streets.

Everything else is just history

 


Dan Calic

About the Author: Dan Calic

A product of Goodwin (JFK), Henry Ford, Roosevelt, Sequoia High and Canada College, Dan has deep Redwood City roots. He’s witnessed Redwood City transform from a sleepy peninsula town into a thriving high-tech hub.
Read more



Comments
push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks